Chapel of the Immaculate Conception

Altarpiece of the Immaculate and St. Teresa (19th century) MiTPi-0197


This was the chapel of the Traders’ Guild until 1630 because it was originally devoted to St. Michael and St. Steve. The guild decided to move to the adjacent chapel because of the limited space between the altar and the old church’s choir, and instead of the altarpiece of St. Michael, it was placed an altarpiece devoted to St. Philip Neri, which was later devoted to the Virgin of Guadalupe. In 1875 it was established here the Archconfraternity of the Immaculate and Saint Teresa of Ávila, who made the present altarpiece devoted to their patron saints. Nobody knows the author of this altarpiece yet, a work made in Neo-gothic style, very historicist and eclectic. The furniture was well preserved despite the Spanish Civil War, when the statues of the Immaculate and St. Teresa were burnt and later replaced at the end of the conflict together with the statues of St. Anne and St. Matilda and two pictures of St. Thérèse of Lisieux and the Blessed Maria Mercè Prat. It’s notorious the fine mosaic floor made in 1925 with the motto of St. Teresa “Let nothing disturb you. God alone suffices”, and the saint’s attributes as Doctor of the Church. In the left wall there is a commemorative black-marble plaque placed in 1791 in front of the grave of Antoni Viladomat i Manalt (1678-1755), one of the most renowned painters of the Catalan Baroque, and parishioner of the Santa Maria del Pi. The plaque was funded by Nicolás Rodríguez Laso, minister of the Holy Office and a great admirer of this artist. The inscription reads: “Nicolas Rodríguez Laso priest to Antoni Viladomat, painter of Barcelona, who our master nature gave excellence in art, worthy of our ancestors. He died in 1755”. The statue of the Dormition of the Mother of God is temporary placed in this chapel.

© Basílica de Santa Maria del Pi, Albert Cortés
Altarpiece of the Immaculate Conception before 1936.
Central panel painting of the altarpiece of St. Michael of Traders: (Jaume Huguet) © Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya, Barcelona (2015).